Gadgets Overkill

Pager Evolution:

Motorola Jazz Pager. This was a free promotional item from one communication operator. Only needed to pay for their service for certain period. I remember at that, pager was booming. But I only got a chance to use this type before it's been replaced by a mobile phone. I still used both - pager and mobile phone - for a while until the operator service was discontinued. Now, I don't know where I place this pager, but if I digged into my closet, probably it's still there.




Mobile Phone Evolution:





My 1st mobile phone. I got it free in 1997. It's a Nokia 8110 a.k.a. Nokia Pisang (cause the curve was just like a banana). Very comfortable placing it at the ears and got a hi-tech feeling since it's been used in The Matrix not long after. I used this phone until it practically gave up.











2nd phone. Actually it was a loan phone, so yeah, it's still free. Nokia 3110 a.k.a. Nokia Paus (because the display was so big, when you saw it from the side, it looks like a whale). Quite heavy like a brick.










3rd phone. Nokia 6110 Blue a.k.a. Nokia Bunglon (colours changed at different angle: purple, green, red). I got it from a very kind guest from Singapore. At first I wanted to pay him back, but he didn't want to accept it. I loved this phone very much. It's a tough phone. And I returned the Nokia 3110 to its true owner.






4th phone. It's Nokia 6100. My aunt got two. One was light blue, one was pink. She offered me to trade my Nokia 6110 with the pink one, plus additional 500k. Considering my Bunglon was already experiencing problem, and the offer was generous, I took it. I love the pink colour, it's a limited edition. It is indeed the lightest Nokia phone ever. The only problem with this one is the cover is easily chipped. I had to give it a face-lift two times. Then the good thing was, my aunt returned my Bunglon, so I got it as spare (though now it went dead unrecoverable).







5th phone. While I still using Nokia 6100, my husband got this Nokia 6300 White for free. And guess what, I become the end user. Until today. This one is simply classy. Oh, the white color is also limited. Everytime people see my phone, they think I've changed the cover. As for Nokia 6100, it's still working fine for a spare.







6th phone. Nokia 6120 Classic has a very simple model, yet has powerful 3.5G. I got it from my brother. When most people use Blackberry, I still prefer using this as my reliable mobile net. At home, the phone become a modem to my computer. Sure it's not as fast as LAN, but with the right GSM card, it's far more superior than dial-up and other external broadband modems. At certain spot, it can even play YouTube Mobile.





Finally. I'd never thought of using a BlackBerry. Not until it's lying there with no master. This Curve 8320 was bought for my husband. But not long after that, he got one too from his office. And he'd very much like to use my Nokia 6120 as his mobile net modem too. So reluctantly, I handed it over to him and use BB instead. I'm still learning how to use it now. My only disappointment that this BB responds slow and cannot be used for internet modem. And it's really difficult to type on the pad. But yea, now I officially join into the BB society. And I have to wait for my husband to borrow his modem for blogging at home.



Camera Evolution:


My one and only camera. Canon Powershot A80. The LCD display can be flipped in various angles, so basically it's easy to take my own pics. It uses compact flashdisk and rather heavy because it needs 4x AA Batteries. I love my camera. It has captured all wonderful moments happened in my life.



iPod Evolution:

1st iPod. It's a U2 Special Edition 20GB. My husband bought it. But since I'm the one who listen to music for most, I often hijack this iPod from him. It's very elegant with red and black color, quite heavy though.


2nd iPod. I guess my husband was tired of the hijacking. When Apple released iPod Nano-Chromatic series, he bought the 8GB Silver for me (though at first I prefer the red color, but up to now it's nowhere available on store. Learn that it is limited for online sale, as it's intended for some sort of charity program). It's so small and thin I can almost hide it in my palm. Love it. My ultimate entertainment.



JBL On Stage speakers for both iPods. Very compact, it can be placed anywhere easily. It functions as a charger for the U2 iPod too.




DVD Player Evolution:

1st DVD player. Sony DAV S-550. It is almost as old as my marriage life. I've replaced the optical head once, probably will need another replacement really soon. But I'm keeping this, cause I love it very much. It's so sweet.



2nd DVD player. Pioneer DVD Recorder DVR-330. I followed Oscar 2006 prediction quiz, held by my DVD rental store. Eventhough I only guessed it right 4 out of 5 categories, apparently no other participants could guess all right either, they drew my name by mere luck. Pioneer is well-known for their good optical head. But since my movie watching experience is way too much, it finally gave up before I could learn how to use the recorder. And it's difficult to get a replacement head. I still keep this player, just in case. Too valuable. Read more.

3rd DVD player is a Crystal DVD. I don't have the picture at the moment. I bought it for my son since his DVDs are so scratched and my Sony can't play it.



Moral of the inventory:
1. 6 mobile phones since 1997 till present is not that much. Average one phone every 2 years.
2. I only bought Nokia 6100. Other mobile phones I got it free.
3. I have never bought a brand-new mobile phone from mobile phone store. Though most of all is new indeed, I got them from someone.
4. I'm a keeper. Never change or sell a gadget for trend-sake. I use my gadgets until they're used up. When there came an offer I couldn't refuse, I'd make sure the old ones were not wasted. Either I kept for spares, or gave it to someone who needed it.
5. Personal gadgets on my hand and well-functioning: Nokia 6100 (for spare), Nokia 6300 (for telephone), Blackberry Curve 8320 (for .. BBM-ing, FB-ing, Tweet-ing and other mobile social networking), Canon Powershot A80 (for taking pics and videos) and iPod Nano (for music of course).
6. Oh, I will soon include Sony Playstation 2. It's my son's birthday hand-him-down gift from my brother. Up to now, it's not installed yet.
7. I've been longing for THIS!
8. Overkilled?? HELL YEAH!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had Nokia 3110 as my 1st cellphone too and used it until it gave up. My 2nd one was Nokia 6100 that I used until recently, not because it broke, but simply because it's time to catch up with the fast moving technology. Have used it for 10 years or more and will still as my alarm.

joelliea said...

I have different (or more) gadgets on hand at the moment. Your comment kinda reminded me to update this post soon =D =D.