Smashing Songs of SMASH

I'm so grateful for beautiful songs to sing, for the tolerance that comes from my husband, my son and my neighbours .. for I will sing till I have no more voice left in me.

Here's my iPod playlist set on repeat. It's SMASH Season 1 showtime!!


"BEAUTIFUL"
Episode 1 Pilot


Christina Aguilera has done good. But it was Katharine McPhee who brought this song to my home (well, to my TV screen to be exact). I really love the way she sang it on the audition scene, and when she raised her left hand to the air through the bridge .. it was so cool.

Clip: Official Music Video by Christina Aguilera, Katharine McPhee's studio version with lyrics on screen.


"LET ME BE YOUR STAR"
Episode 1 Pilot


It's a duel between a pop singer and a broadway performer. What else could one expect, except for one hell of a masterpiece? How could you choose between Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty? Karen Cartwright or Ivy Lynn to be Marilyn Monroe? This original song lived up to the hype and ended the pilot episode in a bang.

Clips: Studio version, Karaoke version, Megan Hilty Live at New Year's Eve with Carson Daly.

"BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN"
Episode 7 The Workshop


It's light, it's bubbly. It's fun. I always love the music video of Colbie Caillat singing this song. I am just in love with McPhee's crystal-clear voice.

Clips: Official Music Video by Colbie Caillat, Katharine McPhee's studio version.




"RUN"
Episode 12 Publicity

Her voice was heavily-mixed, but I still got the chill listening to it. Because Karen Cartwright was not an understudy, she was a STAR!

Clips: Official Music Video by Snow Patrol, Official Music Video by Leona Lewis, Katharine McPhee's studio version, Karaoke version.

"A THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS"
Episode 12 Publicity

Look! It's Bollywood! It's Arabian-wannabe! I didn't know Dev could sing that good (before I learned Raza Jaffrey is indeed a musical theater perfomer) and Katharine McPhee could dance really good. The all-star dream sequence is exuberant and funny. The WOW factor shot to the roof. And the song .. o the song .. I need to know how McPhee and Jaffrey could sing the lyrics without running out of breath. And that Jaffrey's impossible musicality towards the ending. Again, W-O-W!!

Clips: Studio version, Karaoke version, Karaoke version with background vocals.

"SECOND HAND WHITE BABY GRAND"
Episode 12 Publicity


It had been mostly Karen, until Ivy stepped in with this piece - the song that turned an antagonist into a protagonist, and changed my whole different opinion on the character. Everything was exceptional. From the moving music that served nothing but to bring out the best of its vocalist, the meaningful lyrics, the touching inserts, the camera angles .. to Ivy's girly hairstyle, the color of her outfit against her fair skin .. and her graceful poise. Megan Hilty is a great singer, she sang her heart out. The rough edges of her stage voice were replaced by a quiet emotion that put a lump in my throat. She built it into the most beautiful, the most soulful performance ever on this season. I was completely mesmerized, never wanted to take my eyes off her.

Quoting Derek Wills: Thank you, Miss Lynn. That was glorious.

Clips: Studio version, Karaoke version.

"DON'T FORGET ME"
Episode 15 Bombshell


And we're back to Katharine McPhee. The weight of the finale was placed on her shoulders. She was effortless. Her voice was so clear, as crisp as it might shatter into thousand pieces of glasses in any second. I hate the dress and the wig, I particularly like the shadows of Marilyn projected to the background, and the lighting that surrounded her and fell onto her figure was stunning. It was a breathtaking performance. Love this song very, very much. I will not forget.

Clips: Studio version, Karaoke version.

0 comments: