I Can't Stand Softcopies

I was in desperate needs for a good reading. It's been quite a long time since I bought the last book. So I went to the bookstore and did a quick browsing.

"Quick" was not exactly the right word.

I spent one hour. Picked up a book from a rack, read the back cover, put it back to the rack. Repeat. From comedy to romantic. From business to leisure. I chose one book, I thought it would be a fun read, but then I hesitated. Didn't feel promising. In fact, I felt all books hated me on that day and they didn't want me to buy them.

Didn't I tell you I need something to read?

And then you would suggest me to find something on the net instead. It's free, and I could find thousand of topics right there, awaiting to be discovered.

But, have I told you that I hated browsing?

I know I can find everything on the net. Well, almost. Come to think that I have to turn on my computer, have to sit straight on the chair, hands and fingers steady on the mouse, so many layers of pages to click on, have to wait for pages loading (and not to mention when the connection was cracking up, oooo the wait, it's killing me. Recently I have a habit of falling asleep in front of my computer, waiting for a page loading) and my eyes are easily getting tired. I can't find convenience on the net.

Of course, those don't apply to me while reading Litterzone.

(Cheers, baby).

Back to the book browsing. I found The Naked Traveler books. I've heard about it before and somehow I knew it would be good. Travelling is always an interesting topic for me. But then, the books were literally published blogs (writer is a blogger). Kinda tick me to look it up. Perhaps I would end up getting it free from the net after all. Could save me around 100k. Argh, too many considerations.

So I opened The Naked Traveler. Whoa. Lots of things to read. And it has moved to the new location here, which is also crowded with posts. Omigod, how would I ever finish reading the blogs? I only could stand 30 minutes opening random posts. I fell asleep in front of the monitor. Again.

That's it. I made up my mind. I bought the hardcopies.


Now I'm happy. I can read them anywhere, anytime. While queueing for the bus, waiting for the elevator, queueing for food, in a car, on a bus, on the bed, on the sofa, on the floor, in the toilet. Sitting, standing, laying, squatting. And when I fall asleep reading, at least I will be on some cozy places, in a pretty comfortable position.

This is why I prefer books to e-books. I prefer page turning to page clicking. I need to hold the books. (Perhaps it's got something to do with my sense. I like to touch things. Never can get enough only by seeing things. If I were Midas, I would be damn rich).

Though I found out that The Naked Traveler books don't have beautiful pictures. The blogsite and the website do, I can take it. It's for the good reason, the books won't feel redundant. I can always look up for the pics on the net and back to the book to continue my reading.

It's a good read, indeed. I'm content for the moment.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

i like the book covers...
the title rings a bell, quite famous too, i think...

hhmm... used to love reading books, but now a days, i think i like reading e-books better, maybe because i don't get bored easily, hehehe .....

Emajanti said...

you may want to follow her twitter http://twitter.com/TrinityTraveler

Rebecca said...

good idea, em...

yesterday, went to TGA, wanted to buy the Perahu Kertas by Dee...
and i saw n looked at these two books at TGA, but decided not to buy it, since i wasn't too sure yet when to read it...